The 1940s would see many changes to the cover of the monthly bulletin. In November 1941, actual illustrations appeared on the cover for the first time. Also in 1941, the phrase “Information for Naval Personnel” appeared on the cover, signaling the start of the concept of pitching the magazine for “all hands.” In 1942, the magazine (now a product of the Bureau of Naval Personnel) used a photograph on the cover for the first time and also starting using color. In 1943, a banner stating, “This magazine is for ALL HANDS” was displayed, and two years later ALL HANDS became the official title. In all, the look of the magazine changed six times during the 1940s. Much of the content during the decade focused on the Navy’s major role in World War II and post-war affairs.