Blended Retirement System
7 things to know
The Navy released NAVADMIN 020/17 announcing the release and availability of the Blended Retirement System (BRS) Opt-In course.
1. All service members who are opt-in eligible must complete the Blended Retirement System training. The course is available now on Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) at http://jko.jten.mil/ (course #: J3OP-US1332) and will soon be available on Navy e-Learning.
Active Component (AC) members are eligible to opt-in if they entered military service on or before Dec. 31, 2017, and have less than 12 years of service.
Reserve Component (RC) members, including Full Time Support (FTS) members, can opt-in if they entered military service on or before Dec. 31, 2017, and they have accumulated fewer than 4,320 retirement points as of Dec. 31, 2017.
United States Naval Academy and Reserve Officer Training Corps Midshipmen as well as Delayed Entry Program service members are opt-in eligible if they entered the military on or before Dec. 31, 2017.
2. Whether or not Service Members choose to opt-in, all Service Members who are opt-in eligible MUST complete the Blended Retirement System Opt-In Course no later than 31 December 2017.
3. The course and an online BRS calculator, which will be released by March 2017, are designed to equip Navy personnel with the tools necessary to make an educated decision on which retirement system is right for them.
4. Command Financial Specialists, Personal Financial Managers at local Fleet and Family Support Centers, and Military OneSource Personal Financial Counselors are available to provide unit level training and individual counseling.
5. All Navy commands must ensure that opt-in eligible Service Members complete the Blended Retirement System Opt-In Course and that the training completion is documented in the Fleet Management and Planning System (FLTMPS).
6. According to NAVADMIN 217/16, members that are not eligible to opt-in are still required to complete BRS training, but may choose between the opt-in course and the BRS Leaders Course.
If Navy personnel are unable to complete the training via JKO or Navy e-learning due to connectivity issues or if commands prefer training in a group setting, digital video devices (DVD) are available for order through the Defense Imagery Management Operations Center.
7. This is likely the most important financial decision in the naval career of an opt-in eligible Service Member. If you are opt-in eligible it is in your best interest to ensure that the training is complete and that you are making the most informed financial decision possible.
For more information go to NAVADMIN 217/16, NAVADMIN 259/16 and/or NAVADMIN 020/17.