Georgia was launched by the Bath Iron Works of Bath,
Maine, 11 October 1904, sponsored by Miss Stella Tate, and commissioned
at Boston Navy Yard 24 September 1906, Captain R. G. Davenport in
After Georgia was fitted out and completed a short shakedown cruise, she joined the Atlantic Fleet as flagship of Division 2, Squadron 1. Georgia departed Hampton Roads 26 March 1907 for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where
she participated in gunnery practice with the fleet. After returning
briefly to Boston Navy Yard for repairs, Georgia joined with
other ships of the Atlantic Fleet in ceremonies opening the Jamestown
Exposition. President Roosevelt and dignitaries present reviewed the
fleet 10 June 1907, and 11 June was proclaimed "Georgia Day" at the
exposition in special ceremonies aboard Georgia.
Georgia next sailed with the fleet for target practice in
Cape Cod Bay, arriving 15 June. During these drills
15 July, a powder charge ignited prematurely in her aft
8" turret, killing 10 officers and men and injuring 11.
Condolences for the loss from this tragic accident were
received from all over the world.
The powerful battleship then participated in the
tercentenary of the landing of the first English Colonists 16 to 21
August 1907. after which she rejoined the fleet for battle maneuvers
before mooring at League Island. N.Y., 24 September, for overhaul.
Arriving in Hampton Roads 7 December 1907. Georgia gathered with 13 other battleships, a torpedo boat squadron, and
transports for the great naval review preceding the cruise of the
Atlantic Fleet to the West Coast. On 16 December President Roosevelt
reviewed the assembled "Great White Fleet" and sent it on the first leg
of an around-the-world voyage of training, and building of American
prestige and good will. Visiting many South American countries on their
highly successful cruise, the fleet met with ships of the Pacific Fleet
in another review in San Francisco Bay for the Secretary of the Navy 8
May 1908. Then Georgia, in company with other battleships and
supply vessels, departed San Francisco 7 July 1908 for the second leg
of the cruise, showing the flag and bringing the message of American
sea power to many parts of the world, including the Philippine Islands,
Australia, Japan, and Mediterranean ports. The fleet returned to
Hampton Roads 22 February 1909.
Georgia continued to serve with the Atlantic Fleet
in exercises and battle maneuvers, with periods of overhaul
interspersed, until 2 November 1910 when President Taft reviewed the
fleet prior to its departure for France. In an elaborate battle and
scouting problem, Georgia and the other battleships continued
their training, visiting Weymouth, England, and returning to Guantanamo
Bay, Cuba, 13 March 1911.
From 1911 to 1913, Georgia continued to train and
serve as a ceremonial ship, and 5 June 1913 participated in a 2-month
practice cruise for Naval Academy Midshipmen. After a long overhaul
period in Boston Navy Yard. Georgia arrived off the coast of
Mexico 14 January 1914 with other fleet units to protect American
interests in the troubled Vera Cruz-Tampico area. The busy battleship
returned briefly to Norfolk, Va., in March, but was soon back cruising
Mexican waters, and from August to October 1914 cruised off Haiti for
the protection of American civilians in that country.
After another period of overhaul, Georgia joined
the fleet off Cuba 25 February 1915 for winter maneuvers, and spent the
rest of the year in training and ceremonial duties with the Atlantic
Fleet Battleship Force. She arrived at Boston Navy Yard for overhaul 20
December 1915 and decommissioned 27 January 1916.
Assigned as a receiving ship at Boston, Georgia was
called to duty at the outbreak of World War I, and commissioned again 6
April 1917. For the next 18 months. she operated with the 3d Division,
Battleship Force, in fleet tactical exercises and merchant crew gunnery
training, based in the York River, Va. She joined with Cruiser Force
Atlantic briefly in September 1918 to escort convoys to meet their
eastern escorts, and beginning 10 December 1918 was fitted out as a
transport and attached to the Cruiser and Transport Force for the
purpose of returning troops of the A.E.F. to the United States. Georgia made five voyages to France from December 1918 to June 1919 and brought home nearly 6,000 soldiers.
Georgia was next transferred to the Pacific Fleet
as flagship of Division 2, Squadron 1. She left Boston for San Diego,
via the Panama Canal, 16 July 1919, and after participating in
ceremonial operations for 2 months, entered Mare Island Naval Shipyard
for repairs 20 September 1919. Here Georgia stayed until
decommissioning 13 July 1920. She was eventually sold for scrap 1
November 1923 in accordance with the Washington Treaty for the
limitation of naval armaments, and her name was struck from the Navy
List 10 November 1923.