U.S. Navy Battleships - USS New Hampshire (BB 25)
Full-screen images are linked from the images in the text below.
Displacement: 16,000 tons
Speed: 18 knots
Armament: Four 12" guns; eight 8" guns; twelve 7" guns; twenty 3" guns; two 1-pounders; four 21" torpedo tubes
Text from The Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships published by the Naval Historical Center
The second New Hampshire (BB-25) was laid down 1 May 1905 by New
York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.; launched 30 June 1906;
sponsored by Miss Hazel E. McLane, daughter of Governor John
McLane of New Hampshire; and commissioned 19 March 1908, Capt.
Cameron M. Winslow in command.
After fitting out at New York, New Hampshire carried a Marine
Expeditionary Regiment to Colon, Panama, 20-26 June 1908, then
made ceremonial visits to Quebec, Portsmouth, New York, and
Bridgeport. Overhaul at New York and Caribbean exercises were
followed by participation in the Naval Review by President
Theodore Roosevelt in Hampton Roads 22 February 1909, welcoming
home the "Great White Fleet."
Through the next year and a half
she exercised along the east coast and in the Caribbean, then
departed Hampton Roads 1 November 1910 with the Second
Battleship Division for Cherbourg, France and Weymouth, England.
Leaving England 30 December, she returned to the Caribbean until
arriving in Norfolk 10 March 1911 to prepare for a second
European cruise which took her to Scandanavian, Russian, and
German ports. The squadron returned to New England waters 13
New Hampshire trained Naval Academy midshipmen off New England
in the next two summers, and patrolled off strife-torn
Hispaniola in December 1912. From 14 June 1913 until 29
December, she similarly protected American interests along the
Mexican coast, to which she returned 15 April 1914 to support
the occupation of Vera Cruz. New Hampshire sailed north 21 June,
was overhauled at Norfolk, and exercised along the east coast
and in the Caribbean until returning to Vera Cruz in August
Arriving Norfolk 30 September 1915, New Hampshire operated in
northern waters until 2 December 1916, when she sailed for Santo
Domingo, where her commanding officer took part in the
government of the revolt-torn country. She returned to Norfolk
in February 1917 for overhaul, where she lay when the United
States entered World War I. For the next year and a half she
trained gunners and engineers in northern coastal waters, and on
15 September began the first of two convoy escort missions,
guarding transports from New York to a rendezvous point off the
French coast. On 24 December she sailed on the first of four
voyages bringing veterans home from France to east coast ports.
This duty completed 22 June 1919, she was overhauled at
Philadelphia, then 5 June 1920 sailed with Academy midshipmen
embarked for a cruise through the Panama Canal to Hawaii and
west coast ports. She returned to Philadelphia 11 September.
New Hampshire served as flagship for the special naval force in
Haitian waters from 18 October to 12 January 1921, and on 25
January sailed with the remains of Swedish Minister Wilhelm
Ekerigren for Stockholm, arriving 14 February. She called also
at Kiel and Gravesend before returning to Philadelphia 24 March.
There she decommissioned 21 May 1921.
She was sold for scrapping 1 November 1923 in accordance with
the Washington Treaty for the Limitation of Naval Armaments.
Updated: 30 July 2009