U.S. Navy Battleships - USS Connecticut (BB 22)
Full-screen images are linked from the images in the text below.
Displacement: 16,000 tons
Speed: 18 knots
Armament: Four 12" guns; eight 8" guns; twelve 7" guns
Text from The Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships published by the Naval Historical Center
The fourth Connecticut (BB-18) was launched 29 September 1904 by
New York Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss A. Welles, granddaughter
of Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy during the Civil War;
and commissioned 29 September 1906, Captain W. Swift in command.
Joining the Atlantic Fleet, Connecticut became flagship 16 April
1907, and later that month joined in the Presidential Fleet
Review and other ceremonies opening the Jamestown Exposition. On
16 December 1907, still flagship, she sailed from Hampton Roads
on the cruise round the world of the Great White Fleet. On 8 May
1908, the Atlantic Fleet joined the Pacific Fleet in San
Francisco Bay for a review by the Secretary of the Navy, and the
combined fleets continued their cruise, with Connecticut as
flagship, showing the flag and bringing a show of American
strength to many parts of the world. The fleet returned to
Hampton Roads 22 February 1909.
Continuing to serve as flagship for the Atlantic Fleet until
1912, Connecticut cruised the east coast and the Caribbean from
her base at Norfolk, conducting training and joining in
ceremonial observances. Between 2 November 1910 and 17 March
1911, she made an extended cruise in European waters on a
scouting problem. Between 1913 and 1915, Connecticut served with
the Fourth Division, Atlantic Fleet, usually as flagship. Aside
from a brief cruise to the Mediterranean in October and November
1913, she served in the Caribbean, protecting American citizens
and interests during disturbances in Mexico and Haiti.
After repairs and temporary service as receiving ship at
Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1916, Connecticut returned to full
commission 3 October 1916 as flagship of the Fifth Division,
Battleship Force, Atlantic Fleet. She operated along the east
coast and in the Caribbean until the United States entered World
War I. Based in the York River, Va., during the war, she
exercised in Chesapeake Bay, and trained both midshipmen and gun
crews for merchant ships. At the close of the war, she was
fitted out for transport duty, and between 6 January and 22 June
1919 made four voyages to return troops from France. On 23 June
1919, she was reassigned, becoming flagship of Battleship
Squadron 2, Atlantic Fleet.
In the summer of 1920, Connecticut sailed to the Caribbean and
the west coast on a midshipman-Naval Reserve training cruise.
The next summer found her in European ports on similar duty, and
upon her return to Philadelphia 21 August 1921, was assigned as
flagship Train, Pacific Fleet. She arrived at San Pedro, Calif.,
28 October, and during the following year cruised along the west
coast, taking part in exercises and commemorations.
Puget Sound Navy Yard 16 December 1922, Connecticut was
decommissioned there 1 March 1923, and sold for scrapping 1
November 1923, in accordance with the Washington Treaty for the
limitation of naval armaments.
Updated: 29 July 2009