NORFOLK (NNS) -- Five U.S. Navy ships, four U.S. Naval Academy (USNA) Yard Patrol boats (YPs), two U.S. Coast Guard cutters (USCGC), and one Royal Canadian Navy ship will participate during the 2017 Fleet Week New York (FWNY), May 24-30.
It is anticipated that nearly 3,700 Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen will partake this year.
Ship and pier locations include:
Manhattan, Pier 88:
* Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3), from Norfolk, Virginia. USS Kearsarge will be embarking several hundred Marines from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
Manhattan, Pier 92:
* Legend-class cutter USCGC Hamilton (WMSL 753), from Charleston, South Carolina
* Kingston-class coastal defence vessel HMCS Glace Bay (MM 701), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, Pier 86: (Vessels will depart Saturday, May27)
* Four USNA YPs, from Annapolis, Maryland
* Oceanographic research ship RV Neil Armstrong (AGOR 27), from Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Brooklyn Cruise Terminal:
* Ticonderoga-class cruiser USS San Jacinto (CG 56), from Norfolk, Virginia
* Ticonderoga-class cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61), from Norfolk, Virginia
Homeport Pier, Staten Island:
* Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Lassen (DDG 82), from Mayport, Florida
* Keeper-class cutter USCGC Katherine Walker (WLM 552), from Bayonne, New Jersey
Kings Point (U.S. Merchant Marine Academy): (Not open for general public tours)
* Cyclone-class patrol coastal ship USS Zephyr (PC 8), from Mayport, Florida
Bronx/SUNY Maritime College: (Not open for general public tours)
* Spearhead-class expeditionary fast transport USNS Yuma (EPF 8)
Ship tours will be conducted daily throughout the week in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the exception of USS Kearsarge, which will be closed for tours on Sunday, May 28 due to cruise ship operations.
Ship tours on Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, Pier 86, will be open Thursday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Now in its 29th year, FWNY is the city's time-honored celebration of the sea services. It is an unparalleled opportunity for the citizens of New York and the surrounding tri-state area to meet Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen, as well as witness firsthand the latest capabilities of today's maritime services. FWNY will be commemorating the 75th Anniversary of Naval Construction Forces' "Seabees."
For up-to-date information on all FWNY events, visit the official FWNY website at www.fleetweeknewyork.com, "Like" FleetWeekNewYork on Facebook, or "Follow" @FleetWeekNYC on Twitter. FWNY photos can be viewed on Flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/fwnypao and Instagram at www.instagram.com/fleetweeknyc. Join the conversation on social media by using #FleetWeekNYC. Follow the Seabee Commemoration at #Seabee75th.
For more information, visit http://www.navy.mil, http://www.facebook.com/usnavy, or http://www.twitter.com/usnavy.
For more news from Commander, Navy Region Mid Atlantic, visit www.navy.mil/local/cnrma/.