Claims Assistance Provided for Millington Flood Victims

Story Number: NNS100503-18Release Date: 5/3/2010 11:46:00 PM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
From Office of the Judge Advocate General Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Military members and their families who suffered loss of damage to personal property due to Naval Support Activity Mid-South region flooding in Millington, Tenn., may be able to file a claim with the Navy.

The Office of the Judge Advocate General Claims and Tort Litigation Division is prepared to assist affected military members and their families with their personal property claims.

Sailors who suffered loss or damage to personal property due to the flooding on May 1, 2010, may file a claim with the Navy if:

a). The personal property was located on base or in government assigned quarters when it was damaged. Government assigned quarters is defined as housing provided in kind by the government or privatized housing run by a civilian management company that is located within the perimeter of the installation.

b). You are a proper claimant under the law. A proper claimant is an active duty member, a Reservist on active duty at the time of the loss, or a civilian employee of the Department of Navy.

Claims packets for filing your claim with the Navy can be picked up at the Family Assistance Center (N-82) from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, or on-line at Click on "claims" under "For Sailors and families" then select "packets and forms" on the right side of the screen. Packages are also available at the OJAG Personnel Claims Unit Norfolk (PCUN) by calling toll free (888) 897-8217, or by email at

Sailors with private insurance covering the loss must make a demand against the private insurance carrier first and may submit a claim for the amount of the deductible to the Navy. Furthermore, if the value of the loss exceeds the amount of insurance coverage, Sailors may also file a claim with the Navy. In either case, a copy of the insurance settlement must be included in the claim package. In the event damages total an amount less than the deductible, there is no need to file first with the private insurance carrier.

For all questions, please contact the claims help line at (888)897-8217 from 0700 - 1900, Eastern Time.

For more news from the Commander Navy Installations, visit

Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click Subscribe to Navy News Service .