NAVFAC Washington Project Benefits Families at NSA Annapolis


Story Number: NNS100726-16Release Date: 7/26/2010 3:49:00 PM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
By Regina Adams, Naval Facilities Engineering Command Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- A groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of a Child Development Center (CDC) was held July 22 at Naval Support Activity (NSA) Annapolis, Md.

U.S. Naval Academy Superintendent Vice Adm. Jeffrey Fowler was the guest speaker at the event.

Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Washington, Public Works Department (PWD) Annapolis, awarded the $7.9 million contract to HASCON, LLC of Columbia, Md. in December 2009 for design and construction of the new facility.

"If you can give families good child care, they will consider staying in and working in the Navy and making it a career," said NAVFAC Washington's Capt. Don Campbell, Public Works officer at PWD Annapolis. "With the number of folks we have deploying these days and the spouses left at home, probably working, having to take care of two or three young children, this is something that they say 'hey, even when I go to war, I know everything is okay on the homefront.'"

This 21,194 square-foot facility that will serve up to 162 children will replace the 9,400 square-foot facility which currently provides child care services for 84 children. The new CDC is scheduled to open late June 2011.

The existing CDC, constructed in 1972 as a community center, does not provide adequate space to meet current demand. The facility can only accommodate 52 percent of the children requiring child care services at the Naval Academy and NSA Annapolis, leaving the remaining 48 percent of parents with children to seek alternate child care. The location of the existing facility meets current needs, but requires significant modifications which, if undertaken, would result in a reduction of enrollment limits from the current 84 children to 51 children.

"I personally know military families in the area who have tried to utilize the NSA Annapolis CDC during deployments, but due to the long waiting list, other arrangements had to be made," said Lt. Ryan Thrun, project manager NAVFAC Washington. "The new CDC facility will help alleviate this added strain while providing the children with a modernized facility custom built to their needs."

The new facility has several unique aspects to the design. It is designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver requirements for new construction. State-of-the-art energy efficient technology has been incorporated into the heating/HVAC system which includes geothermal heat pumps and radiant floor heat.

"This technology won't only help save energy, but will also keep the little ones comfortable when crawling around the floor during the winter months," said Thrun. "The new facility will meet the latest Anti-terrorism Force Protection and Americans with Disabilities Act and Architectural Barriers Act standards so all who use it can rest assured that it is safe and accessible."

"NAVFAC Washington's main role is to ensure the facility is being designed and built to meet the needs of the end-user and that it's safely completed on time and within budget," said Thrun. "To do this, we provide day-to-day contract management, construction oversight, quality assurance, and ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and policies. Once completed, NAVFAC will be responsible for maintaining the facility."

The CDC is an accredited child care facility offering developmental programs for children six weeks old to five years old and a pre-school program. It is available to all children of active duty and reserve service members as well as Department of Defense civilian employees assigned to NSA Annapolis and the Naval Academy.


For more news from Naval Facilities Engineering Command, visit www.navy.mil/local/navfachq/.

 
 
RELATED CONTENT
Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click Subscribe to Navy News Service .