WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Winners of the Fiscal Year (FY) 2010 Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Environmental Awards competition, sponsored by the CNO Energy and Environmental Readiness Division, were announced Feb. 17.
The annual CNO Environmental Awards program recognizes exceptional environmental stewardship by Navy ships, installations and people. Twenty-seven winners were selected in ten award categories. The winners, listed alphabetically within each category, are provided below.
Natural Resources Conservation, Large Installation Award:
- Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- Naval Base Coronado, Calif.
- Naval Base Ventura County, Calif.
Cultural Resources Management, Installation Award:
- Naval Air Station Fallon, Nev.
- Naval Base Guam
Environmental Quality, Industrial Installation Award:
- Fleet Readiness Center East, Cherry Point, N.C.
- Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga.
- Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Calif., including Detachments Corona and Fallbrook
Environmental Quality, Overseas Installation Award:
- Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan
- Navy Region Center, Singapore
- U.S. Naval Support Activity Bahrain
Environmental Quality, Small Ship Award:
- USS MOMSEN (DDG 92)
- USS STERETT (DDG 104)
- USS THACH (FFG 43)
Sustainability, Individual or Team Award:
- Environmental Sustainability Team, Fleet and Industrial Supply Center Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
- Fleet Readiness Center Southeast, Jacksonville, Fla.
- PMA-231 Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health Team, Naval Air Systems Command, Md.
Sustainability, Non-Industrial Installation Award:
- Naval Base San Diego, Calif.
- Naval Station Great Lakes, Ill.
- Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Environmental Restoration, Installation Award:
- Hunters Point Naval Shipyard, Calif.
- Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Va.
- Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
Environmental Excellence in Weapon System Acquisition, Small Program, Individual or Team Award:
- Battle Force Tactical Trainer In-Service Engineering Agent Design Team, Naval Sea Systems Command Combat Direction Systems, Dam Neck, Va.
Environmental Planning Team Award:
- East Coast Range Complex Environmental Planning Team, Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command
- Southern California Range Complex Environmental Planning Team, Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet
- Undersea Warfare Training Range Environmental Planning Team, Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command
Vice Adm. William R. Burke, deputy chief of naval operations for Fleet Readiness and Logistics, commended the winners.
"Bravo Zulu to all award winners, and to the many other nominees," said Burke. "You exemplify the Navy's steadfast commitment to protecting and sustaining the natural environment as a global force for good."
The CNO award winners will be honored June 7, in a ceremony at the United States Navy Memorial in Washington, DC.
For more news from the Chief of Naval Operations Energy and Environmental Readiness Division visit http://greenfleet.dodlive.mil/environment/.
For more news from Ocean Stewardship, visit http://www.navy.mil/local/oceans/.