MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) -- The minimum years of commissioned service (YCS) required for selected officers for retirement purposes has been temporarily reduced from 10 to eight years, officials said Sept. 15.
"This change mainly affects prior-enlisted officers who with their prior service and active commissioned service will satisfy their minimum payback towards 20-plus year active duty retirement," said Lt. Shane Walker, assistant limited duty officer/chief warrant officer community manager. "This temporary change will help the Navy achieve, in part, its desired end-strength goals."
ALNAV 057/11 temporarily minimizes that YCS requirement. Now certain officers eligible for retirement through Sept. 30, 2013 only have to satisfy eight years of commissioned service to receive the same retirement benefits.
"To clarify, if an officer who is retirement eligible and will have eight years of active commissioned service between the release date of the message and Sept. 30, 2013, he or she can request retirement under this option if they are in an eligible designator and no other service obligations are in place," said Walker.
Waivers from years of required ACS will not be approved for officers:
* With pending permanent change of station orders;
* Identified to fill a general services administration assignment;
* Under a bonus entitlement (or special pay);
* Assigned to a department of defense (DOD) area and who have not met the DOD tour requirement (joint/overseas duty);
* Under a service obligation for an education program including graduate education, scholarship, fellowship, service college, tuition assistance or graduate voucher;
* Under a training obligation.
Normally, requests for retirement must be submitted no more than 12 months in advance. Officers applying for retirement under ALNAV 057/11 can submit requests up to 18 months prior to their retirement date.
For eligibility requirements, read ALNAV 057/11, found on the Navy Personnel Command (NPC) website, www.npc.navy.mil or contact the NPC customer service center at CSCmailbox@navy.mil or 1-866-U-ASK-NPC.
For more news from Navy Personnel Command, visit www.navy.mil/local/npc/.