Navy Announces Results of Enlisted Retention Board


Story Number: NNS111202-05Release Date: 12/2/2011 11:41:00 AM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
From Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- A total of 12,261 Sailors reviewed by the Enlisted Retention Board (ERB) were selected for retention, the Navy announced Dec 2.

Additionally, a total of 125 Sailors not selected for retention by the ERB were able to stay Navy after qualifying for a rating conversion. Conversion waivers were introduced in NAVADMIN 160/11 to increase options for ERB eligible Sailors. Conversion applications were held until the ERB had completed deliberations. Only Sailors not selected for retention in-rate by the ERB were considered for conversion and all applicants had to satisfy eligibility requirements to be considered for the limited number of vacancies in undermanned career fields.

"The decision to establish the ERB was made after careful consideration," said Vice Adm. Scott R. Van Buskirk, chief of naval personnel. "Our Sailors have served honorably and we are committed to doing all we can to help them transition."

The ERB was announced earlier this year after record high retention and low attrition among active duty Sailors left the Navy overmanned. The purpose was to help the Navy rebalance the force in terms of seniority, experience and skills.

The ERB reviewed the records of nearly 16,000 selected third class petty officers through senior chief petty officers from 31 overmanned ratings, who had greater than seven, but less than fifteen years of cumulative service as of October 2011.

The quota-based board was held in two phases. Phase I convened in late August and reviewed the records of 7,625 Sailors in pay grades E4 and E5. Of the Sailors reviewed in Phase I, 5588 were selected for retention.

Of the Sailors reviewed in Phase I, 1,922 Sailors were not selected for retention.

The second phase convened in September and reviewed the records of 7,761 Sailors in pay grades E6, E7 and E8. Of the Sailors reviewed in Phase II, 6673 were selected for retention.

Of the Sailors reviewed in Phase II, 1,025 were not selected for retention.

An additional 53 Sailors who were not selected for retention had their ERB results vacated in accordance with NAVADMIN 129/11, after they were advanced in rate from the September 2011 Navy advancement examination cycle. These Sailors will remain in their current rate.

Navy is taking an active role in helping the Sailors not selected for retention through this transition. Specifically, Navy is offering employment outplacement services and enhanced transition benefits for ERB affected Sailors who will not be able to serve out the duration of their contract.

Sailors transitioning from Navy through ERB will also have access to Navy's transition assistance programs, are eligible for involuntary separation pay, and will retain commissary and Navy Exchange privileges for an additional two years after separation.

Navy Personnel Command (NPC) established a transition assistance information Web Page providing Sailors and leadership a central location to find transition assistance information and resources. NPC's customer service center is also available to assist Sailors in locating transition assistance resources.

For more information visit the NPC ERB Web Page at www.npc.navy.mil/boards/ERB/, contact the NPC customer service center at 1-866-U-ASK-NPC (1-866-827-5672) or email cscmailbox@navy.mil.


For more news from Chief of Naval Personnel, visit www.navy.mil/local/cnp/.

STORY COMMENTS1 COMMENT
12/21/2011 3:17:00 PM
My husband is getting out because of ERB and I don't understand why? He is a good sailor he missed the first class exam by 2 points and from my understanding he could not be capped. We have sacrificed so much to the Navy to be told it's over just like that. It was 2 points, It's not these sailors fault that their rates are overmanned. I don't think that it is fair that he gets out and all the sailors with DUI,DRUGS, and other issues get to stay in. Get rid of all the troubled sailors.

Comment submission for this story is now closed.
 
RELATED PHOTOS
Sailors and Marines man-the-rails aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) while entering Pearl Harbor for a port visit.
Official U.S. Navy file photo.
August 31, 2011
RELATED CONTENT
Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click here.