NMCB 7 Assumes Authority in Central Command


Story Number: NNS120124-05Release Date: 1/24/2012 11:28:00 AM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Yan Kennon, Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 Public Affairs

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (NNS) -- U.S. Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 7 assumed command of construction operations in Afghanistan from NMCB 1 during a transfer of authority (TOA) ceremony at the Battalion Headquarters aboard Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, Jan. 18.

NMCB 7 is one of two Seabee battalions currently deployed to the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) area of operation.

"All the Seabees of NMCB 7 are very motivated to begin work to provide engineering support across Afghanistan to assist in counter insurgency operations and bringing stability to the country," said Cmdr. J.G. Meyer, NMCB 7 commanding officer.

NMCB 7 deployed to the Combined Joint Operations Area - Afghanistan (CJOA-A), from its homeport of Gulfport, Miss., Jan. 9, to provide a highly responsive and maneuverable engineer force and resources to conduct contingency, mobility and general engineering support operations across supported commander's lines of operation throughout CENTCOM and to improve the operational capabilities of coalition forces.

"The Seabees of NMCB 7 have trained very hard in our homeport preparing for this deployment and are ready to execute the mission," said Meyer. "I could not be prouder of these Seabees, and I have every confidence in their pending success."

As part of the Naval Construction Force (NCF) force flow, NMCB 7 was designated as the replacement battalion for the mission and responsibilities previously owned by NCMB 1. The battalion's main body component is located aboard Kandahar Airfield, and several of its detachments are operating throughout southern Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Bahrain.

As an integral element of the engineer force of Task Force Forager (TFF), NMCB 7 will serve under the direction of 30th Naval Construction Regiment, whose homeport is located at Port Hueneme, Calif. Task Force Forager, consisting of Navy Seabees and U.S. Army engineer forces, supports the mission of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) through direct tactical infrastructure development; improvements and deconstruction; engagement with Afghan Security Forces (ASF) and Afghan National Army (ANA) engineers; convoy security support and theater freedom of movement (FoM) routes; and mission-specific construction in support of combat operations.

During the ceremony NMCB 1 lowered its battalion flag to signify the end of their deployment. This was immediately followed by the raising of NMCB 7's battalion flag to signify the command's assumption of authority.

"NMCB 1 provided a great turnover to help us succeed," Meyer said. "Their hard work and efforts were greatly appreciated to ensure a smooth and successful Relief in Place/Transfer of Authority."

NMCB 1 was deployed throughout the CENTCOM AOR from May 2011 through January 2012, and is now scheduled to return to its homeport in Gulfport, Miss.

Following a 10-month deployment to Europe, Africa, and the Caribbean in 2010, NMCB 7 commenced a 12-month homeport training cycle that involved the achievement of dozens of skill and general training for the various construction ratings, small-arms and crew service weapons qualifications, operation planning, embarkation, and a battalion-level two week field training exercise (FTX) aboard Camp Shelby, Miss., that exercised the core capabilities of a Naval Construction Force (NCF) unit.

The FTX also exercised the battalion's mobilization and demobilization process; camp construction and operation; construction project execution; logistic support and convoy operations; and camp, convoy, and project defense, culimating with the battalion successfully completing its final evaluation problem (FEB) portion of the exercise, a graded evolution that ultimately classifies a battalion as deployable.

NMCB 7, often referred to as the "Magnificent seven," is one of the original 10 Seabee battalions authorized by the Chief of the Navy's Bureau of Yards and Docks, in 1942, and is currently one of nine active NMCBs in the Naval Construction Force (NCF), a military engineering force of nearly 17,000 active and Reserve component Seabees operating worldwide. Upon completion of their current deployment, NMCB 7 will decommission Sept. 30, as part of the Fiscal Year (FY) 2012 force reduction plan.

For more news from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7, visit www.navy.mil/local/nmcb7/.

Comment submission for this story is now closed.
 
RELATED PHOTOS
Builder 3rd Class Jerry Keppler, from Decatur, Ill., assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 7, uses a skill saw to cut plywood.
120122-N-SD610-005 KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan (January 22, 2012) Builder 3rd Class Jerry Keppler, from Decatur, Ill., assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 7, uses a skill saw to cut plywood. NMCB 7 and its detachments are one of two Seabee battalions conducting contingency construction and deconstruction in support of the international security assistance force as part of Task Force Forager, operating in the U.S. Central Command area of operation. (U.S. Navy photo by Chief Mass Communication Specialist Yan Kennon/Released)
January 23, 2012
RELATED CONTENT
Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click here.