Assistant Secretary of Navy Visits CFAY, Addresses Enlisted Retention Board


Story Number: NNS120827-17Release Date: 8/27/2012 10:17:00 PM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
By Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class John S. Smolinski, Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka Public Affairs

YOKOSUKA, Japan (NNS) -- Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Manpower and Reserve Affairs), Juan M. Garcia III addressed the future of Enlisted Retention Board (ERB) to Sailors on board Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka (CFAY) during an all-hands call Aug. 27.

Last year's ERB was charged with identifying the most qualified Sailors for retention, applying both performance indicators and available quotas. Combined, the first and second phases of the ERB reviewed approximately 16,000 records for approximately 13,000 available retention quotas. Though the primary criterion for all boards is sustained superior performance, the ERB contained both quota-based and performance-based elements.

"There is no intention of doing another ERB this year, no intention to do one next year or to do one in the indefinite future," said Garcia. "The idea was that it is a one-time only evolution."

The board looked at only the most overmanned ratings and examined the performance of approximately 16,000 Sailors, according to Naval Administrative message (NAVADMIN) 129/11. Approximately 3,000 Sailors will not be retained on active duty, but were encouraged to apply for Selected Reserve, if not accepted for conversion.

"For ERB-eligible Sailors, this should not be viewed as personal or reflected as poor performance, these are great Sailors," said Garcia. "The system was backward. We had historic-level retention and we had a fleet out of balance. With this strategy, we had to pick the right Sailor, in the right place, in the right time."

The impact of the ERB process can already be seen in many of the rates affected.

"The benefit of ERB is that advancement is up dramatically, E-6 up five percent, E-5 up ten percent and successful perform-to-serve (PTS) quotas are up exponentially from 30 percent to now 70 percent," said Garcia.

In July, the Navy addressed gaps for sea billets by expanding initiatives for Sailors with the right experience levels and skill sets into high-priority Fleet billets. Garcia addressed the relevance of ERB in light of short falls for these billets.

"It's easy to understand why there is confusion about the introduction of initiatives to encourage sea duty extensions at the same time we are following through with ERB," said Garcia. "But it's an apples and oranges question. The sea billet gap existed before ERB. We now have the size Navy we need, we just need to fix the gaps and these incentives are designed to encourage folks to do so."

The assistant secretary's visit to CFAY is a part of the Navy's focus on the 21st Century Sailor and Marine initiative, Japan Road Show to promote the use of tools designed to focus on the whole life of the individual and their family's lives.

For more information, visit www.navy.mil, www.facebook.com/usnavy, or www.twitter.com/usnavy.

For more news from Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka, visit www.navy.mil/local/cfay/.

STORY COMMENTS1 COMMENT
8/29/2012 9:23:00 PM
ERB and the sea billet gap is not an apples and oranges proposition. As an ETC(SW) in the active Reserves with 19 1/2 years of combined active/reserve service, I was considered to be in an overmanned rate. I was selected for non-retention and told that I have to separate mere months before I could retire with full benefits. I am finishing up my last Reserve duty onboard a DDG in Norfolk. The ETC onboard is being offered a sea pay premium to extend, because ET's are UNDERMANNED. Make sense?

Comment submission for this story is now closed.
 
RELATED PHOTOS
The Assistant Secretary of the Navy speaks to Sailors and Marines about the 21st Century Sailor and Marine initiative.
120827-N-ER662-104 YOKOSUKA, Japan (Aug. 27, 2012) Assistant Secretary of the Navy, the honorable Juan Garcia III, speaks to Sailors and Marines about the 21st Century Sailor and Marine initiative, at Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka's Fleet Theater during an all hands call. The 21st Century Sailor and Marine initiative consolidates a set of objectives and policies, new and existing, and intends to maximize Sailor and Marine personal readiness, build resiliency and hone the most combat-effective force in the history of the Department of the Navy. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Matthew R. Cole/Released)
August 27, 2012
RELATED CONTENT
Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click here.