GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba (NNS) -- Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) representatives at Naval Station (NS) Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, finalized total contributions raised for this year's fund drive Jan. 15.
Through a combined effort, the installation donated a total of $33,380 toward charities and support organizations associated with CFC.
"CFC allows all military and Department of Defense (DoD) employees to give donations to the charities of their choice," said Chief Gunner's Mate Derrick Abson, NS Guantanamo Bay CFC Overseas community area project officer. "It allows us to help those in need. It allows us to support organizations that find cures for diseases, feed the hungry, house those displaced by disaster, and support our veterans and many other worthy causes."
The 2012 CFC began Sept. 17 and ended Dec. 13. More than 30 representatives from the installation's U.S. Naval Hospital, Joint Task Force Guantanamo Bay, and numerous tenant commands assisted with collecting donations from charitable community members.
"This year's goal was to surpass last year's total which was $28,000, and together we did it," said Abson. "For a base this size, $33,380 is a great dollar amount raised. With our contact rate of 100 percent, the word really got out and people were stepping to the plate and donating. With the assistance and hard work of the CFC representatives, we were able to surpass our goal by $5,000."
According to Abson, the 2012 campaign was successful due to the base's CFC team contributing hundreds of hours engaging personnel and spreading the word to potential donors.
"It was a huge accomplishment to achieve 100 percent contact," said Abson. "CFC gave us the opportunity to do our part by donating to the less fortunate. Granted, times are hard for lots of us, but for those that could give, they gave and that says a lot about our nation."
For more news from Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, visit www.navy.mil/local/guantanamo/.