NMCB 3 Welcomes New Commanding Officer


Story Number: NNS130627-18Release Date: 6/27/2013 9:58:00 PM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Petty Officer (SW/AW) Chris Fahey, Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 3 Public Affairs Officer.

NAVAL BASE VENTURA COUNTY PORT HUNEME, Calif. (NNS) -- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NCMB) 3 welcomed their new commanding officer during an official change of command ceremony June 27 at Naval Base Ventura County, Port Hueneme, Calif.

Navy Cmdr. Gordon Meek, III, previously the Public Works Officer, Naval Submarine Base New London, Conn., relieved Cmdr. Scott P. Raymond who will remain aboard NBVC as the Chief of Staff for Naval Construction Group (NCG) 1.

"When I got word that I was chosen to take command of NMCB 3, I was immediately humbled and excited at being afforded such a rare and meaningful opportunity," said Meek. "As we prepare to deploy to the Pacific region, it's an honor for me to lead a battalion that is ready, focused and capable of strengthening those friendships we've spent the past 70 years helping cultivate."

After receiving a Meritorious Service Medal from guest speaker Deputy Commander NCG 1 and Commander, 30th Naval Construction Regiment Navy Capt. Rodney Moore, Raymond addressed the nearly 600 Seabees of NMCB 3 for a final time.

"The last few years have certainly flown by," said Raymond. "Although there are some great takeaways when looking at the contributions we made around the globe during deployments, I've always measured success by the growth of those in our team. I can honestly say that NMCB 3 has grown both professionally in their skills and abilities and as a unit committed to each other's success."

One of the first battalions commissioned at the start of World War II, NMCB-3's legacy stands strong in its ability to build and fight anywhere in the world as either a full battalion or as a group of autonomous detachments completing critical engineering and construction missions simultaneously.

NMCB 3 provides combatant commanders and Navy component commanders with combat-ready warfighters capable of general engineering, construction and limited combat engineering across the full range of military operations.

The "Better Than Best" battalion is preparing for a deployment to the Pacific region scheduled later this summer.

For more news from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 3, visit www.navy.mil/local/nmcb3/.

LEAVE A COMMENT
Your opinion counts. All comments open to the general public but will be reviewed before being posted.
Please refrain from using inappropriate language.
Name
Email
Code From Image at Right

Enter the code exactly as you see it in the image
(Cookies must be enabled)
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code

Comment

 
RELATED PHOTOS
Cmdr. Gordon Meek III, right, relieves Cmdr. Scott P. Raymond as commanding officer of Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 during a change-of-command ceremony.
130627-N-VN372-003 NAVAL BASE VENTURA COUNTY, Calif. (June 27, 2013) Cmdr. Gordon Meek III, right, relieves Cmdr. Scott P. Raymond as commanding officer of Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 during a change-of-command ceremony. NMCB-3 provides commanders and Navy component commanders with combat ready warfighters capable of general engineering, construction and limited combat engineering across the full range of military operations. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Chris Fahey/Released)
June 28, 2013
Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click here.