NORFOLK (NNS) -- The Navy released its new mobile Operational Risk Management (ORM) app designed to make annual training requirements more accessible to Sailors, Feb. 1.
The Naval Safety Center, ORM staff, worked closely with Navy Education and Training Center (NETC), Sea Warrior Program (PMW 240), and TRACEN Technologies to develop the app.
Sailors can complete required training on the ORM app and access related resources and policies. The app gives Sailors an alternative to completing their General Military Training (GMT) requirements.
Upon completing the training, Sailors and Department of the Navy civilians will be given instruction on how to automatically update their electronic training jackets. Completions should be visible in the ETJ after two days.
The ORM app features:
* Policy/Guidance: Includes Joint, Department of Defense, Navy and Marine Corps Policies; to include OPNAV Instruction 3500.39 and Marine Corps Order 3500.27.
* Training: Features links to three computer-based training modules, as well as information on courses offered by the Naval Safety Center. This includes the courses listed below designed to educate the Navy and Marine Corps' military and civilian workforce on associated ORM topics.
1) Individual Managing Your Risk (CIN -- CPPD CPPD-ORM-MYR-1.0). This training has a mandatory triennial completion requirement for all DON Personnel.
2) Supervisor Managing Your Team's Risk (CIN -- CPPD-ORM-MYTR-1.0). This training is required with every increase in responsibility, such as from team leader to work center supervisor to shift supervisor, etc.
3) GMT Time Critical Risk Management (CIN -- CPPD CPPD-GMT-ORMTC-1.0). This training instructs the user in applying ORM at the point of beginning or executing a mission or task at the time-critical level. This is an alternate means for commands to complete required annual training.
Future versions of the ORM app will include Manager Directing Your Command's Risk Management (CIN -- CPPD CPPD-ORM-DYCRM-1.0) and Assisting Leading Risk Management Integration (CIN -- CPPD-ORM-LRMI-1.0).
* Awareness: Features links to general presentations on ORM topics, printable ORM handouts, Risk to Mission, Risk to Force templates and downloadable posters for use in the fleet.
* DoD HFACS Section: Features valuable information, presentations, and documents regarding the DoD Human Factors Analysis and Classification System (HFACS) is used to assist mishap investigators in root cause analysis; this feature allows users to see many precondition considerations cited in Navy and Marine Corps mishaps.
Commander, Naval Safety Center is the ORM model manager. The ORM Directorate personnel serve as the subject matter experts for the Navy's ORM program. They assist assessment and evaluation commands and activities in standardization of fleet ORM training and evaluation. They maintain, educate, and update the latest policy, training, education, tools, and resources available to fleet personnel. Coordinating with Commander, Naval Education and Training Command (NETC) to provide course curriculum and standardized ORM training to manage organizational and individual risks worldwide.
Android and iOS users can find the free Navy ORM app by searching "ORM" or "Navy ORM Training" in the app stores or web browser. Fleet users can find this app and many others in the Navy App Locker at http://www.applocker.navy.mil/#!/apps.
For more information, visit www.navy.mil, www.facebook.com/usnavy, or www.twitter.com/usnavy.
For more news from Naval Safety Center, visit http://www.navy.mil/local/nsc/.