Here are 5 things to know about MAP:
1. At the foundation of this change is the idea that no one knows their Sailors better than our commanding officers (CO), CMCs and the chief's mess. MAP gives them the tool to recognize their best Sailors, advancing them when they are ready for the next level of responsibility.
2. MAP provides COs flexibility and allows commands to petition for additional meritorious advancements or surrender those not needed for a given period.
3. Further expansion of MAP for next year, including the number of quotas, shore duty command eligibility and number of "MAP seasons," is under review by Chief of Naval Personnel (CNP) and Fleet leadership. Additional guidance will be published early in fiscal year 2016 outlining future changes.
4. This fiscal year MAP Open Season runs from July 1 through Aug. 31 and the redistribution season runs from Sept. 1 through 30.
5. Commanders continue to have the authority to set MAP performance standards and select their best Sailors for advancement.
For complete information on MAP see NAVADMIN 141/15