U.S. Navy: Correction of a Navy Record

Requesting an Upgrade to a Discharge

Please read through this entire page

Requests for an upgrade to a discharge from the Navy must be in writing to Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR). The Board for Correction of Naval Record (BCNR) was created by Congress in 1947 to provide a method for correction of errors or removal of injustices from current and former Navy and Marine Corps member's records without the necessity for private legislation. BCNR in not a branch of the Navy Personnel Command (NPC). It is a separate shore activity under the direction and supervision of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.

Persons who wish to request a change must submit an Application for Correction of Military Record, DD Form 149, before BCNR can take any action on their record. Be sure to read the Helpful Hints below.

When you have completed you application you have two options, you can fax your application to the Board or you can mail it to the address below.

Executive Director
Board for Correction of Naval Records
2 Navy Annex
Washington, DC 20370-5100
Phone: 703-614-1402
Fax: 703-614-9857

Helpful Hints:

1. Download the DD Form 149, print it, and fill it out COMPLETELY. You must sign the application. BCNR cannot act on your behalf with out your signature authorizing them, through the Privacy Act, to review you record.

2. Identify the specific error or injustice, submit sufficient information to permit BCNR to determine whether relief is warranted and include any other relevant information. If in doubt include it, that information could be what ultimately proves that an error or injustice exists.

Additional links for further information:

Last Updated: 01 September 2009