NORFOLK (NNS) -- In support of Fleet Week New York (FWNY), the U.S. sea services will host a variety of aviation static displays to showcase the latest capabilities of today's maritime services, May 25-29.
Public Events: (Events are free and open to the general public)
* 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Eisenhower Park | East Meadow, N.Y. - Event will include U.S. Navy (USN) Parachute Team "The Leap Frogs," USN and U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) aviation static displays, personnel equipment, EOD demonstration, as well as a performance by Navy Band Northeast "Rhode Island Sound."
* Noon - 12:30 p.m., Homeport Pier | Staten Island, N.Y. - A U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) helicopter will conduct a search and rescue demonstration over open water near the pier. During the demonstration, the helicopter crew will drop a mannequin into the water to simulate a person in distress. A rescue swimmer will then jump into the water to secure the mannequin, then both will be lifted securely back into the helicopter.
* Noon - 4 p.m., Rye Playland | Rye, N.Y. - Event will include a ceremony in honor of Memorial Day for veterans and USMC aviation static displays.
* Noon - 5 p.m., Liberty State Park | Jersey City, N.J. - Event will include a parachute jump by The Leap Frogs, USN helicopter demonstration with EOD fast rope, USCG search and rescue demonstration, and performances by the USCG Silent Drill Team, USMC Battle Color Detachment and Navy Band Northeast.
* 2 - 6 p.m., Glen Island Park, New Rochelle | New York - Event will feature USMC aviation static displays.
* 2 - 2:30 p.m., Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, Pier 86N | Manhattan, New York - A USCG helicopter will conduct a search and rescue demonstration.
* 4:10 p.m., Citi Field | Flushing, N.Y. - During the annual New York Mets Military Appreciation Game at Citi Field, The Leap Frogs will jump into the stadium. Additionally, military personnel from all five branches will be represented on the field, the Joint Service Color Guard will present colors, and a member of Navy Band Northeast will sing the national anthem. The Mets will be taking on the Milwaukee Brewers.
Public School Events: (Not open to the general public)
* 8:30 - 10:30 a.m. - Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School | Bridgewater, N.J.
* 10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Millburn High School | Millburn, N.J.
* 1:30 - 3 p.m. - Harrison High School | Harrison, N.J.
* 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. - Central Islip High School | Central Islip, N.Y.
* 9:30 - 11 a.m. - Curtis High School | Staten Island, N.Y.
* 1:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Garfield High School | Garfield, N.J.
Now in its 29th year, FWNY is the city's time-honored celebration of the sea services. It is an unparalleled opportunity for the citizens of New York and the surrounding tri-state area to meet Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen, as well as witness firsthand the latest capabilities of today's maritime services. FWNY will be commemorating the 75th Anniversary of Naval Construction Forces' "Seabees."
For up-to-date information on all FWNY events, visit the official FWNY website at www.fleetweeknewyork.com, "Like" FleetWeekNewYork on Facebook, or "Follow" @FleetWeekNYC on Twitter. FWNY photos can be viewed on Flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/fwnypao and Instagram at www.instagram.com/fleetweeknyc.
Join the conversation on social media by using #FleetWeekNYC. Follow the Seabee Commemoration at #Seabee75th.
NOTE TO MEDIA: Media interested in covering any public or public school aviation events, contact Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Public Affairs at (757) 322-2853, or email email@example.com.
For more information, visit http://www.navy.mil, http://www.facebook.com/usnavy, or http://www.twitter.com/usnavy.
For more information on Navy Region Mid-Atlantic, visit: http://www.navy.mil/local/cnrma/