SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- Naval Information Warfare Systems Command (NAVWAR) hosted its first two Project Management Institute (PMI) Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.) qualified courses, a Project Risk Management and Controller Course, September 4-5 to meet the demands of today’s complex and increasingly competitive business environment.
As a PMI R.E.P., NAVWAR offers employees the opportunity to take courses, earn certifications and receive professional development units (PDUs) and continuing education units (CDUs) in the fields of technical project management, leadership and strategic and business management.
“Successful project management is crucial to NAVWAR’s mission of delivering information warfighting capabilities to the warfighter at the right time and for the right cost,” said Nhu-Nga Do, NAVWAR’s national lead for acquisition workforce management. “The PMI R.E.P. designation is industry’s highest mark of excellence in project management training, and now with this qualification, NAVWAR is able to train employees on proven, standardized practices for efficiently meeting project and program objectives.”
PMI is the world’s leading not-for-profit professional membership association for project, program and portfolio management professions. PMI R.E.P. status is only awarded to tenured, quality, project management education providers that are aligned to PMI core values and mature business practices. Organizations must show that course content is consistent with PMI global standards and that the courses will achieve the intended learning outcomes.
Hosted September 4 at Naval Information Warfare Center (NIWC) Pacific in San Diego, California, the Project Risk Management Course provided participants with a set of tools and techniques to improve risk management performance. The class focused on risk identification, risk analysis and risk response techniques to increase project quality and contribute to on-time and on-budget performance.
Also hosted at NIWC Pacific, on September 5, the Controller Course encompassed four key aspects of successful project management:
- Identification of project requirements
- Development of a work breakdown structure to the work activity level
- Using risk management as a tool to control cost and scope creep
- Measuring project cost and schedule performance
“We are excited to be offering these highly valuable program management courses,” said Gary Ivarson, NAVWAR R.E.P. compliance officer and NIWC Pacific project management development lead. “Today organizations are constantly trying to do more with less, making strategic planning essential to organizational success. PMI R.E.P. courses, like the Project Risk Management and Controller Courses, assist employees and organizations in implementing effective project management practices and principles.”
NAVWAR is currently working to assist other systems commands to attain the same qualification to increase program performance Navy-wide.
“The idea is that each systems command could pursue the PMI R.E.P. qualification separately or leverage NAWAR’s PMI R.E.P. status and receive the same benefits – as long as NAWAR assumes associated administration responsibilities and ensures compliance to PMI standards for all R.E.P. activities that occur under the NAVWAR license,” said Do.
With the newly earned PMI R.E.P. qualification, other systems commands across the Navy would join NAVWAR to offer quality and effective training, meeting the standards of the industry’s leading institution for project management.
NAVWAR’s PMI R.E.P. status provides access to unlimited PMI intellectual capital including: compiled survey results, special investigations, research papers in the program management field across industry, PMI databases, tools, templates and guides.
NAVWAR is scheduled to provide the following PMI R.E.P. courses throughout calendar years 2019 and 2020:
- PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)® Certification Training Boot Camp – A four-day course for project managers looking to acquire the PMP certification focused on project manager’s ability to lead and direct projects and teams.
- PMI Agile/Scrum Workshop – A workshop designed for project managers looking to apply agile principles and practices to projects.
- Project Lifecycle Fundamentals Workshop – A week-long course focused on project planning, work breakdown structure, cost estimation techniques, scheduling techniques and performance measurement.
- PMI Risk Management Professional® (RMP®) Certification Preparation Workshop – A course designed to prepare students for the RMP certification exam, focused on assessing and identifying project risks, mitigating threats and capitalizing on opportunities.
- PMI Scheduling Professional (SP)® Preparation Workshop – A course for project managers looking to acquire PMI SP certification focused on developing and maintaining project schedules.
NAVWAR identifies, develops, delivers and sustains information warfighting capabilities and services that enable naval, joint, coalition and other national missions operating in warfighting domains from seabed to space. NAVWAR consists of more than 11,000 active duty military and civil service professionals located around the world.
For more news from Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, visit www.navy.mil/local/spawar/.