NAVAL AMPHIBIOUS BASE CORONADO (Sep. 26, 2019) (NNS) -- Six Sailors who distinguished themselves for their bravery and contributions to damage control efforts aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56), were recognized during a ceremony at Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, Sep. 26.
Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Mike Gilday, along with Vice Adm. Richard Brown, Commander, Naval Surface Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet, presented the awards to the Sailors who were unable to attend a presentation on the ship earlier this year. Those Sailors recognized during the ceremony were Senior Chief Culinary Specialist Donnel Robinson, Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 2nd Class Ivan Cruz, Damage Controlman 2nd Class Anthony Dana, Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 2nd Class Yong Gao, Damage Controlman 2nd Class Harley Peterson, and Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 2nd Class Jonathan Spence.
“Through the actions of these Sailors, you can see very clearly the true meaning of ‘Honor, Courage, and Commitment,’” said Gilday. “Today, the entire Navy says ‘thank you.’ We are grateful to you and to many other McCain Sailors stationed around the globe for the force of your example, an example of the attributes we all aspire towards, and an example that I am committed as your CNO to honoring along with the rest of our Navy team. We will also remember, and will never forget, our fallen shipmates and their families.”
The Sailors were honored for exhibiting a battle-mindedness and selfless commitment to the ship and their shipmates.
On July 10, Adm. John Aquilino, Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet, along with Vice Adm. Phil Sawyer, Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet, presented medals to seven members of the McCain crew in attendance in Yokosuka, Japan.
Overall, the Navy recognized 50 Sailors who distinguished themselves by heroism, outstanding achievement, or meritorious service following the ship’s collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC, Aug. 21, 2017.
One of McCain’s Ombudsmen, Lakela Granados was also honored for her actions providing counseling and support to the ship’s crew and families following the collision.
The collision claimed the lives of 10 McCain Sailors, and the crew fought back against progressive flooding across numerous spaces for hours on end. Facing constant peril from flooding, electrocution, structural damage and noxious fumes, these Sailors prevented further loss of life and ultimately saved the ship.
The list of all personnel receiving awards is as follows:
Navy and Marine Corps Medal
· Lt. Aaron Van Driessche
· Chief Warrant Officer Michael Calhoun
· Damage Controlman 1st Class Justin Ramirez
· Damage Controlman 1st Class Michael Cooper
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 1st Class Delando Beckford
· Operations Specialist 3rd Class Malachi Shannon
· Ship’s Serviceman 2nd Class Mark Williams
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
· Lt. Michael Shofner
· Lt. j.g. Kathryn Hussey
· Lt. j.g. Meghan Meriano
· Chief Warrant Officer Joshua Patat
· Senior Chief Gas Turbine Systems Technician Bryan Hayes
· Chief Damage Controlman Anthony Ebarb
· Damage Controlman 1st Class Hosey Brooks
· Hospital Corpsman 1st Class Alan Aaron
· Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Justin Lam
· Hull Technician 2nd Class Darwin Dunlap
· Machinist Mate 1st Class Nicholas Healy
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 2nd Class Jonathan Spence
· Machinist Mate 2nd Class Joseph Ligon
· Damage Controlman 3rd Class Harley Peterson
· Electronics Technician 2nd Class Royce Black
Navy Achievement Medal
· Lt. j.g. Glory Armentrout
· Lt. j,g, Jordan Snitzer
· Lt. j.g. Madelyn Ryden
· Lt. j.g. Thomas Foster
· Ensign Daniel Coley
· Ensign James Brisotti
· Senior Chief Culinary Specialist Donnel Robinson
· Chief Personnel Specialist Philip Torio
· Culinary Specialist 1st Class Christopher Plowden
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 1st Class Mark Winter, Jr.
· Machinery Repairman 1st Class John Ray, III
· Navy Counselor 1st Class Menh Luc
· Damage Controlman 2nd Class Anthony Dana
· Electricians Mate 2nd Class Ethan Golston
· Engineman 2nd Class Edwin Loredo
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Electrical) 2nd Class Thomas Neff
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 2nd Class Yong Gao
· Hull Technician 2nd Class Laurin Bynoe
· Machinist Mate 2nd Class Jorge Rivera
· Personnel Specialist 2nd Class Jerrell Dean
· Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class Tevin Vassel
· Damage Controlman 3rd Class Christopher Christensen
· Damage Controlman 3rd Class Jeremy Snyder
· Electricians Mate 3rd Class Alejandro Alemanayala
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Electrical) 3rd Class Steven Osenbruk
· Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Ivan Cruz
· Machinist Mate 3rd Class Elijah Swantkoski
· Electricians Mate Fireman Lashawn Kellom, Jr.
Superior Public Service Award
· Lakela Granados
· Kathleen Hoar
For more news from Naval Surface Forces, visit www.navy.mil/local/cnsp/.