GROTON, Conn. (NNS) -- Nominees for the 2010 Junior and Sailor of the Year for Submarine Group 2 will participate in an awards banquet in Groton, Conn., Nov. 18.
The following 10 finalist will be competing for awards in four categories:
Shore Sailor of the Year:
- Yeoman 1st Class (AW/SW) Sheila Trout, Commander, Submarine Group 2 in Groton
- Sonar Technician (Surface) 1st Class (SW/IUSS) Straaberry Washington, Naval Ocean Processing Facility (NOPF) Dam Neck, Va.
Sea Sailor of the Year:
- Sonar Technician (Submarine) 1st Class (SS) Geoffrey Walker, USS Springfield (SSN 761)
- Machinist's Mate 1st Class (SS) Timothy Williamson, PCU California (SSN 781)
- Machinist's Mate 1st Class (SS/DV) Jason Fancher, USS Virginia (SSN 774)
Shore Junior Sailor of the Year:
- Machinist's Mate 2nd Class (SS) Jose Rivera, Performance Monitoring Team, Naval Submarine Support Center in Groton
- Electronics Technician 2nd Class (SW) Gregory Yanase, NOPF Whidbey Island
Sea Junior Sailor of the Year:
- Sonar Technician (Submarine) 3rd Class (SS) Brian Hoffman, USS Dallas (SSN 700)
- Electrician's Mate 2nd Class (SS/DV) Kevin Dale, USS Norfolk (SSN 714)
- Machinist's Mate 2nd (SS) Michael Miner, USS Virginia (SSN 774)
In addition to the awards banquet, the finalist are participating in other activities, including interviews with a panel of chief petty officers and a visit to the Rocky Hill Veterans Home, from Nov. 15-18.
Adm. Elmo Zumwalt initiated the Navy-wide Sailor of the Year program in 1972 to recognize the outstanding Atlantic and Pacific Fleet Sailors. The following year, the Shore Sailor of the Year program was introduced. Sponsored by the chief of naval operations, the program provides recognition to the Navy's outstanding Sailors through numerous presentations, awards and meritorious advancement to the next pay grade.
For more news from Commander Submarine Group 2, visit www.navy.mil/local/Subgru2/.