WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The Navy museums, which adjusted their hours as a result of the federal furlough, have returned to their normal operating hours. Additionally, the Navy's archives and Navy Department Library, located on the Washington Navy Yard, will reopen starting Aug. 26, Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) officials announced.
The following Navy museums were affected by closing Mondays and have resumed normal hours:
- National Museum of the U.S. Navy (Washington, D.C.)
- National Naval Aviation Museum (Pensacola, Fla.)
- Great Lakes Naval Museum (Great Lakes, Ill.)
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum (Norfolk, Va.)
- U.S. Submarine Force Museum and Historic Ship Nautilus (Groton, Conn.)
- U.S. Navy Seabee Museum (Port Hueneme, Calif.)
- Naval Museum Northwest (Naval Undersea Museum (Keyport, Wash.)
- U.S. Naval War College Museum (Newport, R.I.)
- U.S. Naval Academy Museum (Annapolis, Md.)
The Naval Museum Northwest (Puget Sound Naval Museum, Bremerton, Wash.) was closed on Fridays and is back to its normal hours.
Before planning to visit, please visit the museums' respective websites to check hours of operation.
NHHC, which operates the Navy's museums, the Department of the Navy Library, and Navy Archives, has also returned to normal public access hours, although access to many of its holdings remain limited due to ongoing remediation efforts.
In 2012, NHHC and Washington Navy Yard Public Works collaborated on a major archival storage facility renovation project for buildings 108 and 44 which is targeted for completion as early as 2014. The ongoing project will result in accommodating 12,000 cubic feet paper, microform and digital media storage space with new environmental controls. Additionally, refurbishment of the archives spaces and mold decontamination started earlier this year, and the work will continue into next year.
For more information and to access the Navy museum web sites, please see http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/index.html .
For the latest news on naval history, please see http://www.navy.mil/local/navhist/.