Remains of Revolutionary War Schooner Presented to Navy


Story Number: NNS150701-13Release Date: 7/1/2015 3:57:00 PM
A  A  A   Email this story to a friend   Print this story
From Naval History and Heritage Command, Communication and Outreach Division

HARRISBURG, Pa. (NNS) -- The city of Harrisburg formally presented the remains of Continental Navy schooner Royal Savage to the U.S. Navy during a press briefing at City Hall July 1.

Mayor Eric Papenfuse presided over the event in which Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) Director Sam Cox accepted the artifacts on behalf of the Navy.

"This ship, and its artifacts are now going to be preserved and cherished for the public for generations to come as they should be," said Mayor Papenfuse. The Mayor added, "for the last 20 years, the artifacts have stayed in storage, out of public viewing, and we are pleased today to bring them to the light of day and to make sure they are being given the proper care."

Cox thanked the Mayor and the people of Harrisburg, letting all know the artifacts are in good hands. "The United States Navy takes very seriously our obligation to protect and preserve the heritage of the Navy and our Nation," said Cox. "The first thing we will do is go through a process of preserving and protecting them for the long term. As we go through that process we will open the process up to scholars; archeologists and historians have much to learn from this."

Art Cohn, of the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, was also on hand for the historic return of the Royal Savage. He shared the ship's story, its role on Lake Champlain, and the importance of studying her remains.

"I am here to celebrate and extend gratitude to the city of Harrisburg and to the Naval History and Heritage Command or their extraordinary cooperation in preserving a hugely important piece of American History," said Cohn.

Royal Savage, a two-masted schooner, originally served in the Royal Navy and was damaged and sunk by American forces under Richard Montgomery during the siege of St. Johns, Quebec, in the fall of 1775.

After American forces took the fort there Nov. 2, the ship was raised and repaired. With the small schooner Liberty and the sloop Enterprise (ex-HMS George III), Royal Savage formed the nucleus of the American Lake Champlain squadron. That squadron, under Benedict Arnold, denied the British the use of the lake during the fall of 1776 and thus contributed to British General John Burgoyne's defeat at Saratoga.

In June of 1776, the American force, pushed from Canada, fell back to Crown Point, Skenesborough, and Fort Ticonderoga. There Arnold pressed his force to complete a shipbuilding program before the British completed their squadron. In late August, 10 of his ships were finished and he moved north with Royal Savage as his flagship.

He scouted the lakeshore well into September. On the Sept. 23 he moved his fleet into an anchorage at Valcour Island, separated from the western shore by a half-mile channel, to await the remainder of his squadron, and the British.

With the arrival of the galley Congress, Arnold shifted his headquarters to that boat, and continued to wait. On Oct. 11 the north wind carried the British past the island. American ships, including Royal Savage, appeared, fired on the enemy, and beat back into the southern entrance to the channel, where the remainder of Arnold's force was positioned to meet the enemy. Arnold's plan was to beat the British if possible, but, at all cost, to delay them.

Coming in from the south, the British force was handicapped by the wind. Arnold's planning and the British acceptance of the bait had given the Americans a chance to carry out their mission. Royal Savage, however, ran aground on returning to the American line. Undefendable, she was abandoned. Despite attempts to reboard her, she was taken by the British and burned.

The ship remained in the lake until it was raised in 1934 by marine salvor and amateur archaeologist Lorenzo Hagglund. According to Cohn, the remains of the ship and associated artifacts remained in the possession of Hagglund's family until being purchased by the city of Harrisburg in 1995.

 
RELATED PHOTOS
Blair Atcheson, left, George Schwartz  and Heather Brown, marine archaeologists with Naval History and Heritage Command, decide how best to move timber wreckage from the Revolutionary War-era schooner Royal Savage.
150629-N-TH437-048 HARRISBURG, Pa. (Jun. 29, 2015) Blair Atcheson, left, George Schwartz and Heather Brown, marine archaeologists with Naval History and Heritage Command, decide how best to move timber wreckage from the Revolutionary War-era schooner Royal Savage. The city of Harrisburg, Pa., will formally donate the wreckage to Naval History and Heritage Command on July 1. Royal Savage, a two-masted schooner, served in the American Lake Champlain Squadron under Benedict Arnold during the American Revolution before running aground and being burned by the British in October 1776. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Eric Lockwood)
July 1, 2015
Navy Social Media
Sign up for email updates To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click on the envelope icon in the page header above or click Subscribe to Navy News Service.