VLORE, Albania (NNS) -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) hosted a group of 9th and 10th grade students from the International School of Vlore for a career day and cultural learning event, Sept. 26.
The community relations (COMREL) event was intended to strengthen relationships with the nation of Albania and give the Sailors and students an opportunity to interact and learn more about each other's cultures.
"We enjoyed interacting with the youth and adults who visited. We were honored to have the chance to provide service and to host this school group from Albania. We're grateful for the opportunity we have in the Navy to visit different parts of the world, to meet new people and to have unique experiences."
- Lt. Luke E. Wilson, Command Chaplain, USS Porter (DDG 78)
"It was a great experience being a tour guide for the Albanian students. They were very inquisitive about the Navy day-to-day lifestyle."
- Operations Specialist 1st Class Fruquann Powers
"This COMREL event was amazing! It was great to interact with the kids and chaperones. The kids were very well-behaved and they were extremely attentive during the visit. Overall, this was a very useful experience."
- Operations Specialist 1st Class Benniel Brown
* Sailors led the students on a tour of the ship, displayed different gear and uniform items, answered questions from the students and talked about daily life on a U.S. Navy ship and the different jobs in the Navy.
* The students were accompanied by some teachers from their school and representatives from the U.S. Embassy in Albania.
* All of the Sailors participating in the event volunteered their time to provide service.
* Porter departed Naval Station Rota, Spain, Jun. 29, 2015, to conduct naval operations with partners and allies in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in order to advance security and stability in Europe.
* The U.S. 6th Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy, conducts the full spectrum of joint and naval operations, often in concert with allied, joint, and interagency partners, in order to advance U.S. national interests and security and stability in Europe and Africa.
For more news from Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe and Africa/U.S. 6th Fleet, visit www.navy.mil/local/naveur/.