MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) -- The Navy announced Jan. 28 that Billet Based Distribution (BBD) will be implemented February 2016 in NAVADMIN 016/16.
BBD will enable the Navy to more efficiently assign personnel in support of warfighting readiness and match Sailors to specific billets based on rate, rating and Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC).
The new functionality is being added into the Career Management System - Interactive Detailing (CMS-ID), but Sailors will continue to apply for jobs the same way they do now.
"Although the process behind the scenes will change, Sailors will not have to learn a new system to negotiate for PCS orders. To fleet Sailors, the upgrades will be transparent and seamless," said Rear Adm. Ken Whitesell, assistant commander for Career Progression, Navy Personnel Command (NPC). "Ultimately, BBD will help drive improved personnel readiness across the Fleet."
BBD will allow command personnel managers, detailers and placement coordinators to more reliably assess a vacant position's impact on readiness.
Specific goals include:
* The alignment of every enlisted Sailor, who is available for assignment, to a Navy position.
* A system that has the tools and accurate demand signal needed to maximize rating and Critical Navy Enlistment Classification (NEC) "Fit"
* The capability to better use available Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Temporary Duty under Instruction (TDI) funds.
* The capability to forecast future fleet vacancies which will lead to better Sailor and fleet customer service.
* The foundation for an improved assignment process.
The first BBD enlisted requisition will run Feb. 5. Additionally, the February cycle of CMS-ID, which will use the new BBD capability, will be open for fleet applications Feb. 12.
To ensure they are placed in the right job, Sailors should review their records often for accuracy - especially for the NECs they hold to ensure accurate information for the detailing process.
The implementation of BBD requires all fleet users to resubmit paperwork for access. Enlisted Sailors who are negotiating for orders don't need to take any action. Leaders, personnel managers and others who require access for any other reason can send their requests now. Guidance on filling out and submitting paperwork can be found on the NPC BBD web page at www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/billet_based/Pages/default2.aspx.
For more information, visit the NPC BBD web page or contact your command's placement coordinator.
For more news from Navy Personnel Command, visit www.navy.mil/local/npc/.