This is the first Navy Week in Minneapolis since 2017, and the first return to in-person events since the start of pandemic precautions year. The Navy has a plan in place to transition events to a virtual setting if public health concerns warrant it, but at this time the Navy Week is scheduled to feature live demonstrations, performances, and engagements throughout the week that will include:
● Senior Navy Leaders – Flag officer and senior civilian Navy leaders with ties to Minneapolis and surrounding area
● Namesake Sailors – Sailors serving on USS Minneapolis-St. Paul (LCS 21), an Independence-class littoral combat ship
● Hometown Heroes – In-person and virtual events featuring Minneapolis-St. Paul natives serving in the Navy
● Navy Band Great Lakes - Performances and masterclasses with Navy Musicians
● Navy Ceremonial Guard – Conversations and skydiving events with the Leap Frogs
● Naval History and Heritage Command – Educational presentations and lesson plans about the deep ties between North Dakota and the Navy
● USS Constitution – In-person Sailor demonstrations and live, virtual tours aboard the oldest commissioned ship in the Navy
● Many other education-focused groups and events!
Navy Weeks are the service’s signature outreach program, designed to give the citizens of Kansas City the opportunity to learn about the Navy, its people and its importance to national security and prosperity, and to strengthen the service’s ties to the community. Navy Weeks events are coordinated by the Navy Office of Community Outreach (NAVCO).
“The Navy is excited to be back in Minnesota, and to reconnect with the people of Minneapolis in a safe and socially-distanced manner,” said NAVCO’s director, Cmdr. John Fage. “Our Navy Week in Minneapolis will allow us to show everyone what their Navy does for them and why having a strong Navy is critical to the American way of life. We are excited to continue connecting with the communities we belong to and serve and are looking forward to a great Navy Week.”
Since 2005, the Navy Week program has served as the Navy’s flagship outreach effort into areas of the country without a significant Navy presence, with over 250 Navy Weeks held in more than 80 different U.S. markets. Fargo is the seventh Navy Week in 2021.
“During a Navy Week, we coordinate about 75 outreach events with corporate, civic, government, education, media, veterans, community service and diversity organizations in the city,” said NAVCO Navy Week program manager Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Chambers. “The 2021 schedule is exciting for us. We’ll be in several brand-new markets, as well as returning to communities like Minneapolis.”
For more information on 2021 Navy Weeks, visit http://outreach.navy.mil.
For more information on Minneapolis City Navy Week, visit https://outreach.navy.mil/Navy-Weeks-2021/Minneapolis/ or contact Mr. Isaiah Sellers at (901) 229-5631 or Isaiah.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mr. Isaiah Sellers
Subject specific information for the media
Events or announcements of note for the media
Official Navy statements
Given by Navy leadership
HASC, SASC and Congressional testimony